AUGUSTA M JERIMIASSEN
Painter Augusta M. Jerimiassen now has her own »Gallery Filippa«
By greenland today
08 JULY 2012
- I was born in South Greenland in Sarqamiut in 1963, a tiny settlement which lies west of Qaqortoq by Qassimiut in the archipelago. The immense silence of nature and the beautiful surroundings where I come from, but not least, my parents gave me a good basis in life where I know what I want and where I want to go, says Augusta M. Jerimiassen.
- I went to Nuuk in 1989 to study at the University, and today I am undergraduate in Cultural and Social History. As a child I always did drawings. When I went to HF in Nuuk 1982-84, I went with Astrid Heilmann for art class, and after that I wanted to start painting one day. I had children early, my oldest when I was 20 and number two when I was 22 years. Then some years went by before I could realize my dream.
- In 1996 I decided it just had to be now. You can not keep omn pospone your dream. I started with canvas and oil, but soon switched to acrylic paint.
- When I paint I play with colors and really like colorful pictures. I do not have any particular favorite subject, but paint whales, fish, birds, polar bears, seals, etc. Currently, I paint the bird Murre/polar guillemot and the Auks/Razorbill bird. I have exhibit my art in Nuuk every year since 1996.
- I once worked in the governments depeartment of Fisheries, Hunting and Agriculture. Then biologists said that we were about to exterminate the auks, and they set restrictions at max 10 birds caught per trip, and later down to 5.
- So I started painting auks with golden eggs. Partly because the eggs tastes so good with, and partly because we must maintain the stock. But in my paintings is always there with ravens. I try to tell that not only humans benefit from natures gifts, such as birds and their eggs, but that other birds and animals in the Arctic, also takes part in the feast, through the natural cycle.
Something to say
- Many of my recent works have heart-shaped auks. In Greenland we have things we should be able to handle better, such as child neglect. So, I used the auks as love and caring motives. I know that there are also many good people with great excess in Greenland, which could create something good, love and growth.
- My motto is that one has his own fortune, and have to create happiness and growth for themselves and their surroundings, somthing you can not ask others to do for you.
- Unfortunately I do not live off my art, but I have a dream of becoming big and famous and get out into the world. When Monet, Picasso and Asger Jorn they could, who says that I can not, she says with a big smile.
- There is obviously a lot of work behind these dreams, and you must be focused and stubborn to realize what you dream about.
Augusta M. Jerimiassen with her daughter who just graduated in media graphics.
- I just created an online gallery called »Gallery Filippa«, in collaboration with my daughter. She has just graduated as a graphic designer. We have many ideas and dreams together. She is about to start her own company 'FIM FIM' and are really good at graphics and advertisements. Together we can create products that I think has a future.
- We made postcards with my paintings and pictures of my paintings can be framed with Mat, and we will also make posters. Otherwise, I take a preliminary to my paintings, so time will tell what direction we evolve. I am also pleased to take part with Gallery Filippa in the event »Greenland in Tivoli« at August 1'st in Denmark, Augusta ends.